Purpose of Pot Luck: Potlucks are a fun and an inexpensive way of providing ALL the students & their family with a nourishing meal and refreshing drinks before competition and in most cases after the competition. The potlucks also keeps the group together so when it comes time to dress and warm up all the students will be at the site and close by should Mr. Moore need to conduct an extra practice or meeting. These potlucks provide a variety of dishes for all to enjoy.
1) Containers: Bring food in disposable containers, that way if you forget to pick it up, you will not be losing a favorite pan or container. If you wish to try and get these disposable containers back for future uses, put your name on the container and the lid. We will try to get all containers back to parents that same day if they are around or we will place all unclaimed containers in the Band Room, in a box, by the door for you to pick up on Monday.
2) Sandwiches: Sandwiches are best made with just the meat. Cheese, mayo, and mustard will be provided on the side. Cut the sandwich in ½ and place each 1/2 in a separate sandwich bag. Label the bag with H-for ham; T-for Turkey; RB-for roast beef; P/G-for Peanut butter w/Grape jelly; P/S- for peanut butter w/strawberry. Bagging helps keep the sandwiches fresh and can easily be taken up into the stands for snacking. Labeling allows everyone to pick what they like which avoids waste. Bagging and Labeling are not required, just a suggestion.
3) Fruits or veggies are easier to serve in bite size servings. For example: Large bunches of grapes separated into small clumps makes serving easier, cantaloupe cut into small chunks are great, etc.
4) Precut your food contribution, if needed, ahead of time so we don’t have to, sometimes we do not even have a chance.
5) Favorites: home cooked dishes and desserts, brownies…chocolate anything, KFC, Pepperoni or cheese pizza, fresh fruit, juices in the larger size individual servings and we have various people who like diet, no caffeine sodas as well as regular. Pepsi, Coke, Root beer, Sprite or the equivalent of is great.
6) Special Assignments: If you wish to be considered for supplying paper products and plastic ware as your part of the potluck contribution please let Chris or Barbara Ardoin know.
Transporting the contributions: A team of Potluck Volunteers will collect and transport the food and drink contributions as the students arrive at BV to prepare for the groups departure to the field shows. Any Student riding with their parents may keep their food/drink contribution in their vehicle, if they want, until we arrive at our destination and begin to set up the Potluck Buffet. Drinks and perishables will be put in coolers, iced and transported in open bed trucks or covered vehicles. Non-perishables will be boxed and transported in covered vehicles
Set up and Tear Down: Set up will begin when we arrive at the field show site. Once the buffet is set up the Band Students are allowed to go through the line first so that they may eat then begin their preparation for the competition. Family members may join in at the end of the line but if you see a student left behind usher them to the front so he/she can be served first.
Gentle Reminders-Please Review with your Student:
1) Encourage your students to participate in bringing his/her assigned item and to take advantage of the great food and drinks provided.
2) Encourage your student to fill his/her plate only with what he/she can eat and to pick something from each food group
3) Encourage your student to pick up after ones self. Please, Please This one can sometimes get out of hand!
4) Encourage your student to recycle their cans and plastic bottles. We will try to have Recycling containers available!
Any special requests or ideas can be sent to Chris or Barbara Ardoin!
If you want to be a part of the pot luck crew please let Chris or Barbara Ardoin know.